Disclaimer

**** DISCLAIMER

Any Charges Reported on this blog are Merely Accusations and the Defendants are Presumed Innocent Unless and Until Proven Guilty, through the courts.

June 12, 2008

The Shocking State of Our Care Homes (UK)

By Charlotte Beugge and Liz Phillips, Daily Mail
11 June 2008

The conditions faced by elderly people in our care homes is one of the scandals of our age. Never a week goes by without allegations of poor treatment, high fees or lack of food.

So we asked you to tell us your experiences, whether they be as relatives or care workers.
Here, we publish an edited selection of your stories that make for shocking reading. We have respected your request to remain anonymous for fear of reprisals against relatives.

Low Standare of Care:

Mrs F. e-mailed about her mother: On most occasions when I visited, I would hear her calling for help long before I reached her. The staff usually ignored her, saying they were too busy. On a few occasions I found my mother had been put in her room, behind the door and facing the wall 'because she was making too much noise'. I made a formal complaint, but at no time was I aware of it being dealt with; no reprimand was given to the staff, nor was any apology given to me and my family.'

• BULLYING
Ms C. e-mailed: 'We have been told if we aren't happy with my mother's care they will move her 18 miles away, making it more difficult for family members to visit. She is in what is supposed to be one of the better care homes in the South of England. God help those in the worst. Keep up your campaign: you are only at the tip of the iceberg.'

• LACK OF DIGNITY
Mrs G. from Southampton said: 'Sometimes when I visited, my mother would be dressed strangely. She said to me 'You get used to having your pants ripped off by a man in this place', referring to the male carers who, although very kind, were rather alarming to old ladies.'

Abridged
SOURCE: ThisIsMoneyUK/DailyMail
----------------------------------------------------
Please go to Source for more emails to the authors.
------------------------------------------------------------------
More Recent Posts from Spotlight on Elder Abuse

No comments:


DISCLAIMER

Any Charges Reported on this blog are Merely Accusations and the Defendants are Presumed Innocent Unless and Until Proven Guilty.

Search This Blog