Disclaimer

**** DISCLAIMER

Any Charges Reported on this blog are Merely Accusations and the Defendants are Presumed Innocent Unless and Until Proven Guilty, through the courts.

April 12, 2008

Taking Action Can Bring End to Elder Abuse

Taking action can bring end to elder abuse
By Helen Dennis, Successful Aging
Article Launched: 04/09/2008 06:12:57 PM PDT

Question: I am a middle-class mother and widow in my 70s. My late husband and I did everything we thought was right in raising our son. We were involved in Little League, provided piano lessons, had Christmas and birthday parties, and attended all of our son's events. Despite our good home environment, our son, now in his 50s, is addicted to alcohol and drugs. He blames me for his problems, makes threatening phone calls to me and has tried to force his way into my home - causing me great stress and trauma. I am afraid for my safety. Is this elder abuse? I know several other women in my position. Please offer some guidance for me and others in similar situations.

Dear A.L.:

Thank you for your candid question. Just asking the abuse question publicly is likely to help others in your situation.

Your description is an example of what experts define as psychological abuse: the infliction of mental or emotional anguish such as threats, intimidation or humiliation. It includes behavior that demeans, threatens and harasses all, causing emotional anguish. The abuse is intentional and considered a form of family violence.

We often think of abuse occurring most frequently in nursing homes. That's not the case. Most elder abuse and neglect occurs in private homes. And abusers are typically family members.

The exact cause of psychological abuse of older persons is not known. However, we do know of risk factors.


Abridged
SOURCE: dailypress

---------------------------------------------------


More Recent Posts from Spotlight on Elder Abuse

No comments:


DISCLAIMER

Any Charges Reported on this blog are Merely Accusations and the Defendants are Presumed Innocent Unless and Until Proven Guilty.

Search This Blog