Older persons should be able to live in dignity and security and be free of exploitation and physical or mental abuse.
Most developed countries have some sort of Elder Abuse Intervention Measures, such as:
. By legislation – e.g. statutory adult protection services;
· Community services – active-living programs and health tips for seniors
· Education and prevention – including advocacy and empowering seniors with knowledge. Raising awareness of elder abuse.
How can you help?
2. Discuss the issue of elder abuse with your contacts – friends, relatives etc.
3. Your good health is paramount to preventing elder abuse. Join active living programs provided by your local or state government.
4. Speak to someone in Adult Protection Services if you think you have been abused; or that a friend or neighbour might have been abused.
5. Empower yourself with accurate information on the issue of Elder Rights and Elder Abuse.
Know that you have the right to live in dignity and security and be free of exploitation and physical or mental abuse.
Please check sidebar Links for more information.