Disclaimer

**** DISCLAIMER

Any Charges Reported on this blog are Merely Accusations and the Defendants are Presumed Innocent Unless and Until Proven Guilty, through the courts.

February 8, 2008

Nursing Home - A Personal Carer's Story

I have been a personal carer for several years now, and for the last few months working in nursing homes.

I care deeply for my residents and treat every one of them as I would my own grandparent and I am disappointed that many people believe that Personal Carers (PC's) are careless or abusive. I guess there are people like that out there, but given that where I work I am pressured to carry out the ADL's with speed... (aim for 15 minutes/ resident), I am not surprised that residents are injured at times.

I have been instructed through communications (at my work) that if we cannot fulfill our tasks in the allotted time, then maybe we should not be working here (place of employment). We are short staffed and apparently 'underfunded'.. something I find very hard to believe, but that is what I am told.

On average, each employee would stay on the shift (unpaid) for up to half an hour just to complete tasks and make sure that the residents are comfortable. All my work colleagues are compassionate and caring individuals. It is the management and owners of the nursing homes that need to be accountable for the funding they recieve.

My understanding is that as long as a nursing home meets the accreditation standard, they continue to get funding to be spent in whatever way they choose. As with the 'serfs' of russia, we personal carers form the foundation of aged care, we bear the brunt of abuse, a career that very few others would choose to pursue and get paid very little for a job very few of us would swap for another career. We don't work for the money.... we work for the love of our elderly citizens.

Would someone please help us, to help our elderly live out their remaining years with dignity and comfort?

Anonymous: Name and details supplied


SOURCE: AgedCareCrisis Australia

No comments:


DISCLAIMER

Any Charges Reported on this blog are Merely Accusations and the Defendants are Presumed Innocent Unless and Until Proven Guilty.

Search This Blog