Disclaimer

**** DISCLAIMER

Any Charges Reported on this blog are Merely Accusations and the Defendants are Presumed Innocent Unless and Until Proven Guilty, through the courts.

June 22, 2009

Steps to Recognize and Prevent Elder Abuse (MI. USA)

By SHERII SHERBAN

JUNE 21, 2009

The aim of this article is to provide you with a basic overview of elder abuse: what it is, what can be done to help you avoid it and where you - the victim or victim's advocate - can find assistance.

What is elder abuse?

It is the neglect, exploitation or "painful or harmful" mistreatment of anyone who is 65 or older (or any disabled dependent adult age 18 to 64). It can involve physical violence, psychological abuse, isolation, abandonment, abduction, false imprisonment or a caregiver's neglect. It could also involve unlawful taking of a senior's money or property.

In short, elder abuse involves various crimes, such as theft, assault or identity theft. But when the victim is 65 years old or older (or a disabled dependent adult), the criminal faces stiffer penalties.

1. What should I do if I am being abused or if I suspect someone else is being abused?

If the abuse, neglect or exploitation is taking place in a private home, call the Adult Protective Services (APS). Call Michigan Adult Protective Services at 1-800-996-6228.

If the abuse is occurring in a licensed long-term care facility, such as a nursing home, call the local long-term care ombudsman at 1-866-485-9393. Your report will be confidential, and you can remain anonymous.

Or, to report elder abuse of any kind, you can call the Michigan Attorney General 24-hour Health Care Fraud Hotline: 1-800-24-ABUSE/1-800-242-2873.

2. Am I required to report suspected elder abuse?

3. Is there anyone who will check on my elderly father's well-being for me?

4. What can I do to protect myself from an abusive caregiver or spouse?

5. How can I be sure that my mother's caregiver will provide proper in-home care?

6. As a senior, am I more likely to be targeted in a consumer scam?

7. What is identity theft and what should I do if I become a victim?

To keep tabs on your credit, you can request one free credit report annually or visit www.annualcreditreport.com.

8. What if I need an attorney to represent me?

(Sherii Sherban is co-chair of the Calhoun County Elder Abuse Prevention Coalition.)

Abridged

SOURCE: Battle Creek Enquirer - Battle Creek,MI,USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheril has written a comprehensive article on the above issues. Please go to source for full-text.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Click for Updates, More Cases and Resources
Search Right Col/Labels for More Posts/Resources

No comments:


DISCLAIMER

Any Charges Reported on this blog are Merely Accusations and the Defendants are Presumed Innocent Unless and Until Proven Guilty.

Search This Blog